Total compensation costs $53.65 per hour worked in San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland in March 2019

June 25, 2019

In March 2019, among 15 metropolitan areas for which data are available, total compensation costs per hour worked for private industry workers ranged from $28.48 in Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Port St. Lucie, Florida to $53.65 per hour worked in San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, California. In San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, wages and salaries ($37.46) accounted for 69.8 percent of total compensation. In Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Port St. Lucie, wages and salaries ($20.31) were 71.3 percent of the total.

Employer Costs for Employee Compensation per hour worked for private industry workers by metropolitan areas, March 2019
Area Total compensation Total benefits Wages and salaries
Cost in dollars Percent of total Cost in dollars Percent of total Cost in dollars Percent of total

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA

$53.65 100.0% $16.20 69.8% $37.46 30.2%

New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA

43.39 100.0 13.58 68.7 29.81 31.3

Seattle-Tacoma, WA

42.57 100.0 12.90 69.7 29.67 30.3

Boston-Worcester-Providence, MA-RI-NH-CT

41.49 100.0 13.03 68.6 28.46 31.4

Houston-The Woodlands, TX

39.41 100.0 11.04 72.0 28.37 28.0

Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA

39.36 100.0 11.10 71.8 28.26 28.2

Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI

37.98 100.0 11.30 70.3 26.68 29.7

Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA

37.41 100.0 10.74 71.3 26.66 28.7

Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ MSA

36.51 100.0 10.95 70.0 25.56 30.0

Philadelphia-Reading-Camden, PA-NJ-DE-MD

36.33 100.0 11.46 68.5 24.88 31.5

Atlanta-Athens-Clarke County-Sandy Springs, GA

35.82 100.0 10.79 69.9 25.03 30.1

Detroit-Warren-Ann Arbor, MI

35.60 100.0 11.56 67.5 24.04 32.5

Chicago-Naperville, IL-IN-WI

35.42 100.0 10.74 69.7 24.68 30.3

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX-OK

34.47 100.0 9.74 71.7 24.73 28.3

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Port St. Lucie, FL

28.48 100.0 8.17 71.3 20.31 28.7

Among these areas, wages and salaries as a proportion of total compensation was lowest in Detroit-Warren-Ann Arbor, Michigan, where wages and salaries accounted for 67.5 percent of total compensation and benefits accouted for 32.5 percent. Wages and salaries as a proportion of total compensation were highest in Houston-The Woodlands, Texas, where wages and salaries were 72.0 percent of total compensation.

For the nation as a whole, total employer compensation costs for private industry workers averaged $34.49 per hour worked in March 2019. Wages and salaries averaged $24.17 per hour worked and accounted for 70.1 percent of total employer costs. Benefit costs averaged $10.33 per hour worked and accounted for the remaining 29.9 percent.

These data are from the Employment Cost Trends program. To learn more, see "Employer Costs for Employee Compensation — March 2019." Also see more charts on employer costs for employee compensation.

SUGGESTED CITATION

Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Total compensation costs $53.65 per hour worked in San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland in March 2019 on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2019/total-compensation-costs-53-65-per-hour-worked-in-san-jose-san-francisco-oakland-in-march-2019.htm (visited July 22, 2019).

OF INTEREST
spotlight

Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics