This page provides links to CE tables that contain expenditure and income data for selected demographic and geographic characteristics by reference person or consumer unit (CU). The tables provide population means (as opposed to means of those reporting), percent shares across all items, and variance measures (standard error and coefficient of variation), and aggregate expenditure shares across selected groups.
To aid in the interpretation of CE Tables, we suggest reviewing the Tables Getting Started Guide.
- Top line means tables provide calendar year expenditure data for all consumer units. CE provides two types of top line tables - multiyear tables with means for several years, and detailed tables that include the most granular level of expenditure data available, along with variances and percent reporting for each expenditure item.
- Calendar year and midyear means tables by demographic characteristics provide 12 month means, shares across all items, and variances for two time periods. The calendar year tables provide data for one calendar year, and the midyear tables provide data for a time period stretching from the 3rd quarter of the previous year through the 2nd quarter of the next year. For the discontinued tables, see the discontinued calendar year tables and the discontinued midyear tables pages. For historical calendar year tables between 1961 and 2011, see the calendar year tables page.
- Calendar year aggregate shares tables by demographic characteristics provide annual aggregate values for selected expenditures and their shares across specific demographic groups. For the discontinued tables, see the discontinued calendar year aggregate tables page.
- Geographic means tables provide two year means by geographic areas ‐ 4 regions (e.g., Northeast), 9 divisions (e.g., New England), selected states (e.g., California), selected metropolitan statistical areas (e.g., New York City), and population size of area (e.g., urban consumer units). For more information on CE's geographic definitions, see the CE geographic data page.
- Cross-tabulated means tables provide two year means by two demographic characteristics (e.g., age of reference person and income before taxes). Starting with the 2017-2018 tables, the cross-tabulated means tables use rebalanced income brackets to improve their accuracy.
To download or view the PDF files, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader which can be obtained from the Adobe Acrobat Web site free of charge.
Last Modified Date: September 8, 2022