Department of Labor Logo United States Department of Labor
Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.

Https

The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Occupational Employment Statistics
PRINT:Print
OES OES Program Links

What are Percentile Wages?

The percentile wage estimate is the value of a wage below which a certain percent of workers fall.

The following table provides an example of an occupation's percentile wages:

Percentile 10% 25% 50%
Median
75% 90%
Hourly Wage $11.00 $15.00 $20.00 $24.00 $29.00
Annual Wage $22,880 $31,200 $41,600 $49,920 $60,320

The hourly wage estimates in this example indicate that:

  • 10% of employees earn less than $11.00 per hour; therefore the remaining 90% earn more than $11.00 per hour.
  • 25% earn less than $15.00; 75% earn more than $15.00.
  • 50% earn less than $20.00; 50% earn more than $20.00 (The 50th percentile is called the Median).
  • 75% earn less than $24.00; 25% earn more than $24.00.
  • 90% earn less than $29.00; 10% earn more than $29.00.

The annual wage estimates in this example indicate that:

  • 10% of employees earn less than $22,880 per year; therefore the remaining 90% earn more than $22,880 per year.
  • 25% earn less than $31,200; 75% earn more than $31,200.
  • 50% earn less than $41,600; 50% earn more than $41,600 (The 50th percentile is called the Median).
  • 75% earn less than $49,920; 25% earn more than $49,920.
  • 90% earn less than $60,320; 10% earn more than $60,320.

 

Last Modified Date: July 8, 2011