Each month the Current Employment Statistics program surveys about 144,000 businesses and government agencies, representing approximately 554,000 individual worksites, in order to provide detailed industry data on employment, hours, and earnings of workers on nonfarm payrolls for all 50 States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and about 400 metropolitan areas and divisions.
- NEW Effective with the publication of Metropolitan Area Employment and Unemployment for September 2014 on October 29, 2014, new tables will provide users the ability to sort CES employment data by over-the-year change for all metropolitan areas and large areas with annual average employment above 750,000 in 2013. The new features will be available at http://www.bls.gov/web/metro/metro_oty_change.htm and http://www.bls.gov/web/metro/largemetro_oty_change.htm, respectively.
- NEW Effective with the publication of Regional and State Employment and Unemployment for September 2014 on October 21, 2014, a new table will provide users the ability to sort Statewide CES employment data by over-the-month and over-the-year changes. This new feature will be available at www.bls.gov/web/laus/statewide_otm_oty_change.htm.
- IMPORTANT The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS), used by BLS and other statistical agencies to classify industry statistics, is periodically revised. Information on proposed 2017 changes to NAICS is available at www.bls.gov/ces/update.htm.
- Effective with the publication of July 2014 first preliminary estimates on August 18, 2014, the Current Employment Statistics (CES) program will implement new sample units into production on a quarterly basis. More information about the CES quarterly sample implementation is available at www.bls.gov/ces/cesqsi.htm.
- Due to a data processing error, data for the following State and Metropolitan Area estimates were incorrectly published in the database and have now been corrected on September 19, 2014.
- Revisions in State Establishment-based Employment Estimates Effective January 2014.
- CES State and Area estimates will begin using 2013 Office of Management and Budget (OMB) area definitions with the release of the 2014 benchmark in March 2015.
- The Regional and State Employment and Unemployment data for October 2014 are
scheduled to be released on November 21, 2014, at 10:00 A.M. Eastern Time.
- The Metropolitan Area Employment and Unemployment data for October 2014 are
scheduled to be released on December 9, 2014, at 10:00 A.M. Eastern Time.
October 29, 2014
Jobless rates were lower in September than a year earlier in 339 of the 372 metropolitan areas,
higher in 26, and unchanged in 7. Nonfarm payroll employment was up in 314 metropolitan areas
over the year, down in 53, and unchanged in 5.
October 21, 2014
In September, 31 states had over-the-month unemployment rate decreases, 8 states
had increases, and 11 states and the District of Columbia had no change. Nonfarm
payroll employment increased in 39 states and the District, decreased in 10
states, and was unchanged in South Dakota.
Current SAE Economic News Releases
- Series Report — Already know the series identifier for the statistic you want? Use this shortcut to retrieve your data.
All SAE Databases
D-1. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by State and major
industry, seasonally adjusted (formerly table B-7)
D-2. Employees on nonfarm payrolls in States and
selected areas by major industry (formerly table B-14)
D-3. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by state, selected
metropolitan areas, and metropolitan divisions (formerly table
D-4. Average hours and earnings of production employees
on manufacturing payrolls, by State (formerly table B-19)
D-5. Average hours and earnings of production employees
on manufacturing payrolls in selected states, metropolitan areas, and
metropolitan divisions (formerly table B-20)
D-6. Average hours and earnings of all employees on
private nonfarm payrolls by state and metropolitan area, not seasonally
adjusted (formerly table B-21)
Regional and State Release Tables
Metropolitan Area Release Tables
2014 State and Area "Employment and Earnings" Tables by Month
2013 Annual Average Tables
- Employees on nonfarm payrolls in States and selected areas by major
industry (PDF) (XLS)
- Employees on nonfarm payrolls by State, selected metropolitan areas,
and metropolitan divisions (PDF) (XLS)
- Average hours and earnings of production employees on manufacturing
payrolls by State (PDF) (XLS)
- Average hours and earnings of all employees on private nonfarm
payrolls by State (PDF) (XLS)
Other BLS Programs
- Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the Current Employment Statistics survey (National)--monthly national data by detailed industry on employment, hours, and earnings of workers on the payrolls of nonfarm establishments.
- Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages --comprehensive employment and wage data by industry and geographic area for workers covered by State Unemployment Insurance laws.
- Local Area Unemployment Statistics--monthly and annual employment, unemployment, and labor force data for Census regions and divisions, States, counties, metropolitan areas, and many cities, by place of residence.
- Sources of BLS Employment Data
Other Useful Links
CES State and Area Contacts
Further information may be obtained by contacting the Current
Employment Statistics State and Area program via email
or calling (202)691-6559 from
8:30 am through 4:30 pm Eastern Time Monday through Friday.
The cooperating State Employment Security Administrations (SESAs) have labor market
information offices which publish and disseminate CES data for their
Subscribe to receive free BLS Economic News Release e-mail.
Click on the map for National Employment, Hours and Earnings