Each month the Current Employment Statistics program surveys about 144,000 businesses and government agencies, representing approximately 554,000 individual worksites, in order to provide detailed industry data on employment, hours, and earnings of workers on nonfarm payrolls for all 50 States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and about 400 metropolitan areas and divisions.
- The Regional and State Employment and Unemployment data for December 2014 are
scheduled to be released on January 27, 2015, at 10:00 A.M. Eastern Time.
- The Metropolitan Area Employment and Unemployment data for November 2014 are
scheduled to be released on December 30, 2014, at 10:00 A.M. Eastern Time.
December 09, 2014
Jobless rates were lower in October than a year earlier in 354 of the 372
metropolitan areas, higher in 14, and unchanged in 4. Nonfarm payroll
employment was up in 318 metropolitan areas over the year, down in 46, and
unchanged in 8.
December 19, 2014
In November, 41 states and the District of Columbia had over-the-month unemployment
rate decreases, 3 states had increases, and 6 states had no change. Nonfarm payroll
employment increased in 37 states and the District, decreased in 12 states, and was
unchanged in Idaho.
Current SAE Economic News Releases
- Series Report — Already know the series identifier for the statistic you want? Use this shortcut to retrieve your data.
All SAE Databases
D-1. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by State and major
industry, seasonally adjusted (formerly table B-7)
D-2. Employees on nonfarm payrolls in States and
selected areas by major industry (formerly table B-14)
D-3. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by state, selected
metropolitan areas, and metropolitan divisions (formerly table
D-4. Average hours and earnings of production employees
on manufacturing payrolls, by State (formerly table B-19)
D-5. Average hours and earnings of production employees
on manufacturing payrolls in selected states, metropolitan areas, and
metropolitan divisions (formerly table B-20)
D-6. Average hours and earnings of all employees on
private nonfarm payrolls by state and metropolitan area, not seasonally
adjusted (formerly table B-21)
Regional and State Release Tables
Metropolitan Area Release Tables
2014 State and Area "Employment and Earnings" Tables by Month
2013 Annual Average Tables
- Employees on nonfarm payrolls in States and selected areas by major
industry (PDF) (XLS)
- Employees on nonfarm payrolls by State, selected metropolitan areas,
and metropolitan divisions (PDF) (XLS)
- Average hours and earnings of production employees on manufacturing
payrolls by State (PDF) (XLS)
- Average hours and earnings of all employees on private nonfarm
payrolls by State (PDF) (XLS)
Other BLS Programs
- Employment, Hours, and Earnings from the Current Employment Statistics survey (National)--monthly national data by detailed industry on employment, hours, and earnings of workers on the payrolls of nonfarm establishments.
- Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages --comprehensive employment and wage data by industry and geographic area for workers covered by State Unemployment Insurance laws.
- Local Area Unemployment Statistics--monthly and annual employment, unemployment, and labor force data for Census regions and divisions, States, counties, metropolitan areas, and many cities, by place of residence.
- Sources of BLS Employment Data
Other Useful Links
CES State and Area Contacts
Further information may be obtained by contacting the Current
Employment Statistics State and Area program via email
or calling (202)691-6559 from
8:30 am through 4:30 pm Eastern Time Monday through Friday.
The cooperating State Employment Security Administrations (SESAs) have labor market
information offices which publish and disseminate CES data for their
Subscribe to receive free BLS Economic News Release e-mail.
Click on the map for National Employment, Hours and Earnings