Wages of full- and part-time cooks in 2009
November 24, 2010
Wages for full-time cooks averaged $11.29 per hour in 2009; wages for part-time cooks averaged $9.03 per hour. The average wage rate for full-time cooks ranged from $8.87 per hour for fast food cooks to $12.44 per hour for institution and cafeteria cooks; for part-time cooks, wages ranged from $7.91 per hour for fast food cooks to $12.44 for institution and cafeteria cooks.
More than 2 million workers (1.5 percent of the workforce) are employed as cooks, which include fast food cooks, short order cooks, restaurant cooks, and institution and cafeteria cooks. About 75 percent of cooks work in food services and drinking establishments, which include fast food restaurants, food courts, and full-service restaurants. The remaining 25 percent work in places such as hospitals, schools, and nursing homes. About two-thirds of cooks work full time and one-third work part time.
These data are from the National Compensation Survey (NCS). To learn more, see "Wages of Full-time and Part-time Cooks: A Multicity Tour," in the September issue of Compensation and Working Conditions Online. In the NCS, full- or part-time status is determined by whether the employer considers the employee to be working full time or part time, not on the number of hours worked. The NCS national estimates for cooks in 2009 have an average reference month of July.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Wages of full- and part-time cooks in 2009 on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2010/ted_20101124.htm (visited December 09, 2016).
Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics
Workplace injuries and illnesses and employer costs for workers’ compensation
Workplace injury and illness data and the costs to employers for workers’ compensation in natural resources, construction, and maintenance occupations.
A look at the future of the U.S. labor force to 2060
Projected long-term trends in the growth, size, and composition of the labor force.
Union membership in the United States
Historical trends in union membership among employed wage and salary workers; union membership by a variety of demographic characteristics.
A look at healthcare spending, employment, pay, benefits, and prices
Spending on healthcare, current and projected employment in the industry, employer-provided healthcare benefits, healthcare prices, and pay for workers in healthcare occupations.
Self-employment in the United States
Trends in self-employment by various demographic and socioeconomic characteristics, including both the unincorporated and the incorporated self-employed, as well as data on paid employees who work for the self-employed.