Compensation costs increase across occupational groups in 2015
February 04, 2016
Compensation costs for civilian workers increased 2.0 percent for the 12-month period ending in December 2015. Wages and salaries increased 2.1 percent and benefit costs increased 1.7 percent. Wages and salaries make up about 70 percent of compensation costs, while benefits make up the remaining 30 percent.
|Occupational group||Total compensation||Wages and salaries||Benefits|
Management, professional, and related
Sales and office
Natural resources, construction, and maintenance
Production, transportation, and material moving
Among occupational groups, compensation costs increased the most for production, transportation, and material moving occupations, rising 2.6 percent for the year ending in December 2015. This change was the result of a 2.7-percent increase in benefits costs and a 2.4-percent increase in costs for wages and salaries. Compensation costs for natural resource, construction, and maintenance occupations increased 1.5 percent over the year, as costs for benefits in this group rose 0.6 percent.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Compensation costs increase across occupational groups in 2015 on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2016/compensation-costs-increase-across-occupational-groups-in-2015.htm (visited October 28, 2020).
Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics
- Gulf War Era Veterans in the Labor Force
Examines the demographic, employment, and unemployment characteristics of civilians who served in the U.S. military during Gulf War era.
- Using BLS Data to Match People with Disabilities with Jobs Presents data that can help increase access and opportunity for people with disabilities in the nation’s labor market.
- How Women and Aging Affect Trends in Labor Force Growth Examines how women’s labor force participation and the aging of the U.S. population affect trends in labor force growth.
- Meal Appeal: Patterns of Expenditures on Food away from Home
Examines spending on food away from home, such as meals or snacks from restaurants, vending machines, employer cafeterias, or other venues.