Quality changes in 2007 passenger cars and light trucks
November 24, 2006
The estimated retail equivalent value of quality changes for 2007 model year domestically produced passenger cars averaged $150.91.
The estimated retail value of quality changes for passenger cars includes:
- $56.57 for safety improvements such as changes in airbags and tire pressure monitor systems;
- $94.34 for other quality changes, such as changes in audio systems, warranty changes, and changes in levels of standard or optional equipment.
The estimated retail equivalent value of quality changes for 2007 model year domestically produced light trucks averaged $392.10, which includes:
- $160.09 for federally mandated and non-mandated safety improvements such as tire pressure monitor systems, stability control, and airbag systems improvements;
- $58.01 for powertrain improvements;
- $174.00 for other quality changes, such as emissions improvements, warranty changes, changes to audio systems, and changes in levels of standard or optional equipment.
The analysis of quality improvements in passenger cars and light trucks is a product of the Producer Price Index (PPI) program. Estimates of the value of quality changes are based on a review by the BLS of data supplied by producers for similarly equipped 2006 and 2007 domestically produced models priced for the PPI. For more information, see "Report On Quality Changes For 2007 Model Vehicles," (PDF) news release UDSL 06-1973.
Recent editions of Spotlight on Statistics
- Fatal Injuries to Foreign-Born Hispanic or Latino Workers
Explores the industries, occupations, and events related to these fatalities.
- For-Profit, Nonprofit, and Government Sector Jobs in 2022
Compares the labor force characteristics and experiences of workers in the for-profit, nonprofit, government, and self-employed sectors.
- Union Membership, Activity, and Compensation in 2022
Focuses on trends in union membership, work stoppages, and pay and benefits among union members.
- A Look at a Neat Industry: Distilleries
Examines trends in employment, establishments, wages, and consumer prices for distilleries.
- Healthcare Occupations: Characteristics of the Employed
Compares the demographic characteristics of workers in healthcare occupations.