California: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights
In 2022, California ranked second among U.S. states and territories in total exports. The 2022 export trade dollar value from California totaled $185.5 billion, an increase of 6.1 percent from 2021. The price index for the top export industry in California, computer and electronic product manufacturing, increased in October. Export prices for transportation equipment manufacturing and machinery manufacturing advanced over the same period, and the export price index for chemical manufacturing declined.
Top Six California Exports by Trade Dollar Value, 2022
- California exports represented 9.0 percent of the U.S. total in 2022.
- California accounted for 17.8 percent of total U.S. exports of computer and electronic product manufacturing by trade dollar value in 2022, ranking second among all states.
- The top 6 export industries from California accounted for 67.9 percent of the state's total 2022 export trade dollar value.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing export prices rose 0.1 percent in October.
- Despite the monthly advance, export computer and electronic product manufacturing prices decreased 1.5 percent for the 12 months ended October 2023.
- The 12-month drop in the price index for computer and electronic product manufacturing was led by a 5.5-percent decrease in semiconductor and other electronic component manufacturing prices.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Machinery Manufacturing
- Export machinery manufacturing prices increased 0.1 percent in October.
- Prices for export machinery manufacturing advanced 4.7 percent over the past year.
- A 5.7-percent increase in other general purpose machinery manufacturing export prices contributed to the 12-month rise in machinery manufacturing prices.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Chemical Manufacturing
- The price index for chemical manufacturing exports decreased 0.3 percent in October.
- Export chemical manufacturing prices declined 3.2 percent over the past year.
- A 7.1-percent decrease in prices for resin, synthetic rubber, and artificial synthetic fibers and filaments manufacturing led the 12-month decline in prices for chemical manufacturing.
U.S. Export Price Indexes: Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
- Transportation equipment manufacturing export prices increased 0.2 percent in October.
- The index for export transportation equipment manufacturing prices rose 4.8 percent for the 12 months ended October 2023.
- The 12-month rise in prices for export transportation equipment manufacturing was driven by a 7.2-percent advance in prices for aerospace product and parts manufacturing.
Western Information Office • BLSInfoSF@bls.gov • https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/ • 415-625-2270
Last Modified Date: November 24, 2023