Department of Labor Logo United States Department of Labor
Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.

Https

The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Current Employment Statistics - CES (National)

Current Employment Statistics - CES (National)

The Current Employment Statistics (CES) program produces detailed industry estimates of nonfarm employment, hours, and earnings of workers on payrolls. CES National Estimates produces data for the nation, and CES State and Metro Area produces estimates for all 50 States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and about 450 metropolitan areas and divisions.

Each month, CES surveys approximately 131,000 businesses and government agencies, representing approximately 670,000 individual worksites.

Notices

Charts

read more »

News Releases

Payroll employment increases by 315,000 in August; unemployment rate rises to 3.7%

09/02/2022

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 315,000 in August, and the unemployment rate rose to 3.7 percent. Notable job gains occurred in professional and business services, health care, and retail trade.
HTML | PDF | RSS | Charts | Commissioner's Statement

Real average hourly earnings for all employees increase 0.2% in August

09/13/2022

Real average hourly earnings for all employees increased 0.2 percent in August, seasonally adjusted. Average hourly earnings increased 0.3 percent, and CPI-U increased 0.1 percent. Real average weekly earnings decreased 0.1 percent.
HTML | PDF | RSS


Next Release

The Employment Situation for September 2022 is scheduled to be released on October 7, 2022, at 8:30 A.M. Eastern Time.
Real Earnings for September 2022 is scheduled to be released on October 13, 2022, at 8:30 A.M. Eastern Time.
read more »

Publications

The Economics Daily

The Economics Daily article image

Real average hourly earnings down 0.8 percent from February to March 2022

Real average hourly earnings for all employees decreased 0.8 percent from February to March 2022. This result stems from an increase of 0.4 percent in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 1.2 percent in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers. read more »

Beyond the Numbers

Beyond the Numbers article image

How did the 2020 census affect employment?

Every 10 years, the U.S. Census Bureau conducts a full count of the entire population of the United States, as mandated by the U.S. Constitution. To achieve this mission, the Census Bureau hires hundreds of thousands of temporary workers. These workers are reflected in the Current Employment Statistics (CES) survey employment estimates. read more »

Monthly Labor Review

Monthly Labor Review article image

Employment in rail transportation heads downhill between November 2018 and December 2020

This article provides an analysis of the recent employment declines in the rail transportation industry. read more »

Latest Numbers

RSS

Change in Total Nonfarm Payroll Employment: +315,000(p) in Aug 2022 Historical Data

Change in Total Private Average Hourly Earnings for All Employees: +$0.10(p) in Aug 2022 Historical Data

Change in Total Private Average Weekly Hours for All Employees: -0.1(p) in Aug 2022 Historical Data

Percent change in Total Private Aggregate Weekly Hours for All Employees: -0.1%(p) in Aug 2022 Historical Data

Change in Manufacturing Average Weekly Hours for All Employees: -0.1(p) in Aug 2022 Historical Data

Change in Manufacturing Average Weekly Overtime for All Employees: unchanged in Aug 2022 Historical Data

Change in Total Private Real Average Hourly Earnings for All Employees: +$0.02(p) in Aug 2022 Historical Data

read more »