Data on the employment status of people with a disability
In June 2008, questions were added to the Current Population Survey (CPS) to identify persons with a disability in the
civilian noninstitutional population age 16 and older. The addition of these questions allowed BLS to begin releasing monthly
labor force data from the CPS for persons with a disability. The collection of these data is sponsored by the Department of
Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy.
Publication of CPS disability data began in February 2009 with the issuance of labor force data for January 2009.
Beginning with the release of the January 2010 data on February 5, 2010, information on the employment status of persons
by disability status was included as part of the monthly Employment Situation news release in table A-6.
Additional information is available in an annual news release focusing on the employment
status of persons with a disability.
Explanatory materials are available on the frequently asked questions page.
These materials provide information on comparisons with other data sources, variability of the data, and the types of data available.
Additionally, links to historical data and alternate formats are located below.
Access CPS disability data
These are estimates for the nation as a whole; data are not available for states or local areas.
CPS disability data tables, October 2008 - December 2009
With the inclusion of data on persons with disabilities in the Employment Situation
news release beginning in 2010, these separate monthly data tables are no longer produced.
- November-December, 2009 (HTML) (PDF)
- October-November, 2009 (HTML) (PDF)
- September-October, 2009 (HTML) (PDF)
- August-September, 2009 (HTML) (PDF)
- July-August, 2009 (HTML) (PDF)
- June-July, 2009 (HTML) (PDF)
- May-June, 2009 (HTML) (PDF)
- April-May, 2009 (HTML) (PDF)
- March-April, 2009 (HTML) (PDF)
- February-March, 2009 (HTML) (PDF)
- January-February, 2009 (HTML) (PDF)
- December 2008-January, 2009 (HTML) (PDF)
- November-December, 2008 (HTML) (PDF)
- October-November, 2008 (HTML) (PDF)
For more information about the disability data, contact the Division of Labor Force Statistics at 202-691-6378 or by e-mail.
Last Modified Date: August 25, 2010